Environmentally Sustainable House, Terrey Hills
This project involved the design and construction of a two storey dwelling complete with triple berth garage, interconnecting single storey study and a range of environmentally sustainable features.
The initial brief for MJ Wood Management was to fulfill the role of building project manager, assisting the client in meeting their owner builder responsibilities. Our client sought proposals from a number of project management companies, but MJ Wood Management were the only company who was not daunted by the unique design requirements for the project, which included steel wall framing. external aerated concrete wall panels, bamboo flooring, double glazing, air filtering , air humidity control, water harvesting and treatment.
The role of MJ Wood Management was subsequently expanded to include the provision of both project management services and construction management services, as the client became aware of the value added by a professional independent project management company.
The key initiatives introduced by MJ Wood Management are summarized as follows:
- Revised roof design, which was both functionally superior and easier to build
- Revised feature portal design, resulting in cost savings and a reduction in the risk of future water ingress
- First principles estimate of costs to establish a robust budget for the project
- Rigorous tendering process for the trade contracts
- Detailed review of shop drawings to ensure the design was fully coordinated
- Preparation and monitoring of a detailed construction programme
The outcome was an extremely satisfied client, with cost savings of $750,000 to the approved budget.
What Our Clients Say
The works were completed with minimal disruption to our major tenant (NRMA).
MJ Wood Managements’ ability to communicate with all of the key stakeholders, was fundamental to the success of the project.